Saturday, March 03, 2007

some quick words about my classes & other daily activities.

This semester I’m taking two physics classes and two humanities classes. In the math/physics facultad I’m taking Introduction to Contemporary Physics, which is an introduction to relativity and possibly quantum mechanics, and Mathematical Methods for Physics II, the continuation of the math methods course I took last semester. I’m also taking the History of Mexico and Borders and Geopolitics of North America in the International Relations facultad.

My physics classes are both good, though more difficult than my classes last semester. Both professors are quite the characters. One looks like Benito Juarez, one of the first presidents of Mexico, and can talk math faster than anyone I’ve ever met. The other smokes like a chimney throughout class and practically barks his questions to us. He has a tendency to shout random words, which keeps anyone who might fall asleep in class from doing so.

Both of my international relations professors are decent. In my Borders class the students participate a fair amount and everyone seems to like the professor. In the history class, I feel like I’m in high school again as far as the students are concerned. They participate because their grade depends on it, but there are pockets of students that talk through class, something I find highly annoying. The professor however knows his stuff and enjoys having foreign students in his class because we “are able to see things Mexico that the Mexicans can’t because they’re accustomed to everything.” We bring “a fresh look at Mexico which everyone can learn from,” or something like that. We have a tutor session with him once a week. I actually enjoy that more than the class itself because we can ask questions about current politics and culture in Mexico.

In addition to my regular classes, I’m still taking guitar lessons. Max also continued, so we still have class together. We continue to learn Mexican folk songs. I’m also still running on the track team, though only four days a week this semester due to my packed class schedule. (I have more hours of class this semester.) Running is a nice release and is my quality time with Lauren, one of my two best friends here. I’ve started teaching English to another college student. He worked with a girl in the program last semester and she handed him off to me. I’m actually splitting the work with my friend Merilie; we each teach him one hour a week. He’s pretty much an ideal student. He’s studying English on his own initiative. He works hard on pronunciation and watches TV in English between classes. He comes to class with questions and wants to be corrected. He’s very patient with himself and with me as a teacher. I enjoy working with him.

Other than these planned activities, I usually spend an evening or two during the week and a day of the weekend with Gerardo. Many times we hang out with my friend Merilie. It’s interesting to have such a strong three-person relationship between one of my best friends, my boyfriend and I. It seems to work well though, so I’m happy with it. I try to find time to spend with my friends from classes as well, though that’s more difficult. As physics students they’re all studying during the week and then they all go home to their families on the weekends. We had such a good time at my birthday party though that I think we’re all going to start making more of an effort.

Life continues to be busy and good!

No comments: